Wednesday, October 20, 2010
7. Write about how you felt when you discovered you were lied to.
I was about eleven years old, and it was around April. Everyday when I would get home from school I would go right over to the table to see if there was any letters from me. My dad was in jail for the second time for six months. I wasn't aloud to visit him, and phone calls were limited. The only way we could communicate was through letters. During the first two months, we exchanged letters back and fourth constantly. After that though, the letters stopped coming. I kept sending and sending them, but got no reply. I was so confused on why my dad wouldn't talk to me. Did I ask a question too personal that he doesn't want to talk to me? Is he mad at me? Questions like this ran through my head over and over. I even kept asking my mom why my dad didn't want to talk to me. She said she had as little of an idea as I did. I never knew why my dad was in jail, just that he did something wrong. One day after school, my mom was out grocery shopping so I went to get the mail myself. There was nothing there for me as usual, but two bills for my mom. I went to go put them in her room, in her desk where she keeps all her mail. It was then when I found out why I haven't been getting my letters. My mom had been keeping them from me. There was about ten or fifteen letters in the drawer. I took them all and sat in my room reading them. Some were addressed to me, and some to my mom. I remember that I couldn't stop crying when I read them. I found out so many things that my parents have kept from me just from reading those letters. Why my dad was always gone, why he was in jail, why he wasn't aloud to have custody of me, and why mom didn't want me to read those letters. When my mom got home, all the sadness that was inside me immediately turned to anger. I fled down the stairs holding all the letters and just stood there and looked at her. She got a shocked look on her face that quickly turned into a pissed off look . 'Why the hell were you in my room? That's my private stuff you're not aloud to go in there!' is what she said to me. My throat felt dry and like I couldn't speak, and I started to cry again. Between tears I shouted 'Why would you lie to me, and keep me from talking to my own dad!' . I didn't want to re-visit any of these answers, so I just ran to my room. I didn't come out. I stayed there the entire night until my mom came upstairs into my room to apologize. She said that she was doing this for what she thought was my own good, but realized it wasn't right trying to keep me in the dark about everything. Its crazy how well I can remember that day, and what it felt like knowing that her and my dad were both lying to me, about many things. To this day its hard to even build trust with people, because really who can you trust when at one point you can't even trust your own parents?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Really enjoyed reading this. Had a very good story line and the fact that its based on a true event makes it even more alluring to read.
ReplyDelete